Vegan Appetizer Easy Recipe For Hummus
If my last name doesn’t give it away, it might surprise some of you that I am half Greek, so things like olive oil and hummus run through my veins! From a very young age, my Italian mother taught us her simple yet delicious recipe for Greek-style hummus. I keep containers of this in my fridge for a healthy snack, here is my recipe for hummus, inspired by my mom Cristina Ferrare.
We are a big family so we make a lot at one time, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
- 2 – 15 oz cans of organic chickpeas
- ¼ – cup tahini
- 1 – clove garlic
- 1/2 – cup + 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 2 medium-sized lemons
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 1/4 TSP cayenne pepper
- 1/2 TSP of Kosher salt & pepper
- ½ – cup water
- Garnish with 2-3 sprigs of parsley & a pinch of cayenne pepper
- Drain chickpeas and place in a food processor.
- Add Tahini, garlic, 1/2 cup of olive oil, lemon, cumin, salt, cayenne, salt, pepper and blend until combined.
- It will look thick add the water in a steady stream until the consistency looks desirable, creamy and smooth. Correct seasoning adding more salt if necessary.
- Transfer hummus into a bowl and garnish with a sprinkle of cayenne and parsley. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over top.
- I like to serve my hummus with grilled pita or Persian cucumbers.
To grill pita, brush both sides with olive oil and place over your burner for about 20 to 30 seconds each side. Be careful not to burn the pita.